ISBN: 3447192895, 9783447100625, 9783447192897
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Print version record.
1 online resource (216 pages).
Maritime Asia ; v. 25
HISTORY / Asia / India & South Asia; Diplomatie; Portuguese South Asia History 17th century.; Sri Lanka; Portugiesen; South Asia.; Portuguese.; Portuguese South Asia History 16th century.; Handel.
- 1. Introduction: Studying the Portuguese in South Asia and Beyond
- 2. Negotiating Empire: Portuguese Diplomacy in Asia in the Sixteenth Century
- 3. From Diplomacy to Conquest: The "Matrioshka Principle" and How it was Overcome in Sri Lanka
- 4. Imagining Space before Conquest: Two Contrasting Maps of Sri Lanka, 1568-1606
- 5. Imperial Incorporation: The "Malwana Convention" and the Lankan Transition to Colonial Rule
- 6. Colonialism and Cosmopolitanism: Colombo, Cannanore, and the Chimera of the Multi-Ethnic Melting-Po(r)tin South Asia.
- 7. Change and Resilience under Colonial Rule: The Hunting and Trading of Elephants in Sri Lanka, 1500-18008. Afterword; Bibliography; Index.