Statement of responsibility: Niall Shanks
ISBN: 1576072460, 1576078825, 1849723737, 9781576072462, 9781576078822, 9781849723732
Title supplied by vendor.
Includes graphical cross-reference mapper.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 359-367) and index.
xxi, 380 p. : ill., port. ; 26 cm.
Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
Text (online database).
Controversies in science.
Laboratory animals.; Animal models in research.; Animal experimentation.; Animal welfare.
Access restricted to subscribers.
Electronic reproduction. London: Credo Reference Ltd., 2008 Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to Credo Reference affiliated libraries.
- Introduction: Man and beast in nature
- The essence of the problem: medieval legacies
- Gut feelings: anatomy and physiology in the Renaissance
- Minds, machines, and bodies: intelligent design in nature?
- Of mice and monkeys: the moral relevance of animal pain
- The job of physiology: animals in Nineteenth-Century medicine
- By accident or design: Darwin's theory of evolution
- Darwinism developed: the ontogeny of an idea
- The mouse as man writ small: animals in modern medicine
- Mice, mazes, and minds: explaining animal behavior
- The evolution of consciousness: a question of animal pain
- Animals through the looking glass: language and self-consciousness