Statement of responsibility: Charlotte Baker and Hannah Grayson
ISBN: 1787076822, 9781787076815, 9781787076822
Print version record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1 online resource.
Africa.; LITERARY CRITICISM / European / French; African literature 20th century History and criticism.; Dictators.; Dictators in literature.; African literature.; Dictators Africa.
- Introduction /Charlotte Baker and Hannah Grayson
Portrait of a dictator
- "Where is our president?" Bekolo's 'Dictator' /Rita Keresztesi
- Creation through inversion: the carnivalesque postcolonial state in the novels of Alain Mabanckou and in Koli Jean Bofane /Eline Kuenen
- From ritual to fiction: The wizard of the crow /Maria Muresan
- The author and the authoritarian: Gamal al-Ghitani's Al-Zayni Barakat /Alya El Hosseiny
- The one who does His Majesty's bidding: censorship and the banality of power in siSwati crime fiction and drama /Kerry Vincent
- "My characters, my plots, are under my pen": authority as dictatorship in King-Aribisala's The hangman's game /Madeleine Wilson
Forms of resistance
- Figuring the dictator in the Horn of Africa: Nuruddin Farah's dictatorship trilogy and Ahmed Omar Askar's short stories /Fiona Moolla
- "Under the lion's gaze": representing female sexuality and power in authoritarian contexts /Asante Lucy Mtenje
- Mighty mouth, minor literature? Siad Barre's dictatorship in Italian postcolonial literature /Teresa Solis and Lorenzo Mari.