Statement of responsibility: Kees van Dijk
ISBN: 9048516196, 9789048516193, 9789089644206
Print version record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1 online resource (523 pages) : illustrations.
IIAS publications series; Global Asia ; 5
History: earliest times to present day.; Colonies Oceania.; Eastern question (Far East); Pacific Area.; Asia.; Pacific Area Foreign relations.; History.; Pacific Area Politics and government.; Oceania.; Politics and government.; Modern history to 20th century: c 1700 to c 1900.; Diplomatic relations.; HISTORY Asia General.; Humanities.; Colonies.; Colonies Asia.
IIAS publications series. Monographs.; Global Asia (Amsterdam, Netherlands) ; 5.
JSTOR Books at JSTOR Open Access
- Steam and Istmus canals
- Planters, traders and labour in the South Pacific
- Fiji: the start of Anglo-German rivalry in the Pacific
- The Somoa conflict
- Germany enters the colonial race
- The New Guinea protectorates
- Great Britain, Russia and the Central Asian question
- Samoa remains a source of international tension
- The emerging economic world powers
- Great Britain, France and Southeast Asia
- The French-expansion westwards into Southeast Asia
- Russia, Japan and the Chinese empire
- Thailand and beyond
- The scramble for China: the Bay of Jiaozhou and Port Arthur
- The British reaction: Wei-Hai-Wei
- The scramble for China continues: Guangzhouwan and Tibet
- The failed annexation of Hawaii
- The United States becomes a colonial empire
- The partition of Samoa
- The Russo-Japanese war
- Great Britain's search for secure colonial frontiers
- The United States, Japan and the Pacific Ocean