Statement of responsibility: Susan Booysen
ISBN: 1776141660, 1868145530, 1868147819, 9781776141661, 9781868145423, 9781868145539, 9781868147816
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Print version record.
1 online resource (xix, 515 pages) : illustrations, charts, figures, tables
Society and social sciences Society and social sciences.; Power (Social sciences) Africa.; Power (Social sciences); African National Congress.; South Africa Politics and government 1994-; Politics and government.; Africa Politics and government 1960-; South Africa.; Africa.
- Introduction : ANC pathways to claiming, consolidating and regenerating political power
- Aluta continua, from Polokwane to Mangaung
- The ANC and its pillars of people's power
- Power through the ballot and the brick
- Participation and power through co-operation, complicity, co-optation
- Power through elections: serial declines, but the centre holds
- Floor-crossing and entrenchment of ANC electoral supremacy
- Subjugation and demise of the (new) National Party
- Countered and cowered Congress of the People (Cope)
- State institutions as site of struggle in ANC wars
- Between centralisation and centralism : the Presidency of South Africa
- Policy, pursuit of the 'turn to the left' and the paradox of continuity
- ANC at a critical conjuncture : movement, people, elections, governance.