Statement of responsibility: Farish A. Noor, Yoginder Sikand & Martin van Bruinessen, (eds.)
ISBN: 9048501385, 9053567100, 9789048501380, 9789053567104
Print version record.
"Most of these essays are updated versions of papers that were first presented at the international conference 'The madrasa in Asia: transnational linkages and real or alleged political roles', in May 2004 in Leiden"--Page 7.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1 online resource (303 pages) : maps.
ISIM series on contemporary Muslim societies
Madrasahs Asia Congresses.; EDUCATION History.; Sociology; Madrasahs.; Society and culture: general.; Islamieten.; Multi-User.; Sociology and anthropology.; Onderwijs.; Asia.; Islamic education Political aspects Asia Congresses.; Culture and institutions; SOCIAL SCIENCE Ethnic Studies General.; Society and social sciences.; Vergelijkend onderzoek.; EDUCATION Comparative.
ISIM series on contemporary Muslim societies.
- aIntroduction : Behind the walls : re-appraising the role and importance of madrasas in the world today /Farish A. Noor, Yoginder Sikand, Martin van Bruinessen
- Voices for reform in the Indian madrasas /Yoginder Sikand
- 'Inside and outside' in a girls' madrasa in New Delhi /Mareike Winkelmann
- The uncertain fate of Southeast Asian students in the madrasas of Pakistan /Farish A. Noor
- Muslim education in China : Chinese madrasas and linkages to Islamic schools abroad /Jackie Armijo
- From Pondok to Parliament : the role played by the religious schools of Malaysia in the development of the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) /Farish A. Noor
- Traditionalist and Islamist pesantrens in contemporary Indonesia /Martin van Bruinessen
- The salafi madrasas of Indonesia /Noorhaidi Hasan.