Statement of responsibility: Ien Ang
ISBN: 0415259126, 9780415259125
240p. ; 24 cm.
Asia Relations Australia.; Ang, Ien.; East and West.; Australia Relations Asia.; China Relations Foreign countries.; Postcolonialism.
- Preface and Acknowledgments. Introduction: Between Asia and the West Beyond Asia: Deconstructing Diaspora 1. On Not Speaking Chinese
- Postmodern Ethnicity and the Politics of Diaspora 2. Can One Say No to the Chineseness?
- Pushing the Limits of Diasporic Paradigm 3. Indonesia on My Mind
- Diaspora, Internet and the Struggle for Hybridity 4. Undoing Diaspora
- Questioning Global Chineseness Beyond the West: Negotiating Multiculturalism 5. Multiculturalism in Crisis
- The New Politics of Race and National Identity in Australia 6. Asians and Australians
- A Contradiction in Terms? 7. Racial/Spatial Anxeity
- 'Asia' in the Psycho-Geography of Australian Whiteness 8. The Curse of the Smile
- Ambivalence and the Asian Woman in Multicultural Australia 9. Identity Blues
- Rescuing Cosmopolitanism in the Era of Globalization Beyond Identity 10. Local/Global Negotiations
- Doing Cultural Studies at the Crossroads 11. I'm a Feminist but...
- 'Other Women' and Postnational Identities 12. Conclusion: Together in Difference
- The Uses and Abuses of Hybridity Notes. Bibliography. Index.
'Clearly written and well-argued . . . this book makes a valuable contribution, not only to current debates in the field of cultural studies and identity politics, but also to the international debate on the Chinese diaspora and Chinese identity.'- Chinese Information