Statement of responsibility: edited by Shelley Brunt, Geoff Stahl
ISBN: 1138195685, 9781138195684
Intended audience: Specialized.
248 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 25 cm.
Routledge global popular music series
Popular music New Zealand History and criticism.; Popular music Australia History and criticism.; Music.
Routledge global popular music series.
- This is My City
- Reimagining Popular Music Down Under (Shelley Brunt and Geoff Stahl) /
- Part I
- Place-Making and Music-Making /
- 1. Singing about the City
- The Lyrical Construction of Perth (Jon Stratton and Adam Trainer) / 2. The Phoenix and the Bootleg Sessions
- A Canberra Venue for Local Music (Julie Rickwood and Emma Williams) / 3. Lorde's Auckland
- Stepping out of "the Bubble" (Tony Mitchell) /
- Part II
- Rethinking the Musical Event /
- 4. Popular Music and Heritage-Making in Melbourne (Catherine Strong) / 5. The "Dunedin Sound" Now
- Contemporary Perspectives on Dunedin's Musical Legacy (Oli Wilson and Michael Holland) / 6. The Construction of Latin American Musical Identity in Melbourne (Mara Favoretto) /
- Part III
- Musical Transformations
- Decline and Renewal /
- 7. Outside the Square
- Songs for Christchurch in a Time of Earthquakes (Shelley Brunt) / 8. The Making and Remaking of Brisbane and Hobart
- Music Scenes in Australia's "Second-Tier" Cities (Andy Bennett and Ian Rogers) / 9. Urban Melancholy
- Tales from Wellington's Music Scene (Geoff Stahl) /
- Part IV
- Global Sounds, Local Identity /
- 10. Singing the Lord's Song in a Strange City
- An Examination of the Nexus Between the Southern Gospel Choir and the City of Hobart (Andrew Legg, Carolyn Philipott and Paul Blacklow) / 11. "I Rep for My Mob"
- Blackfellas Rappin' from Down-Unda (Chiara Minestrelli) / 12. Technomotor Cities
- Adelaide, Detroit and the Electronic Music Pioneers (Cathy Adamek) / 13. Giving Back in Wellington
- Deep Relations, Whakapapa and Reciprocity in Transnational Hip Hop (April Henderson) / 14. The Music City
- Australian Contexts (Shane Homan) /
- Coda /
- 15. Site-ing the Sounds
- Discovering Australia and New Zealand's Popular Music in the United States (Kyle Barnett and Robert Sloane) /
- Afterword /
- 16. Negotiating Trans-Tasman Musical Identities
- Conversations with Neil and Tim Finn (Liz Giuffre) / A Selected Bibliography of Books on Popular Music in Australia and Aotearoa/New Zealand /Notes on Contributors / Index