Statement of responsibility: Ulrike Schmidt and Janet Treasure
ISBN: 0863773222, 9780863773228
Originally published: Hove: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1993.
Books on Prescription.
Book Prescription Scheme.
Includes bibliographical references (p. xiii-xiv).
xiv, 143 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Compulsive eating Treatment Popular works.; Bulimia Treatment Popular works.; Bulimia Patients Rehabilitation Popular works.; Compulsive eating Patients Rehabilitation Popular works.
Book Prescription Scheme.; Books on Prescription.
- Introduction. A Few Words of Caution. What this Book Can and Can't Do. Further Reading. The Way Forward.Do I Suffer from Bulimia? How to Use this Book. First Steps. Back to the Future. Making Your Decision to Go. How to Stage Your Journey. Tools for the Journey.How to Keep a Therapeutic Diary. New Skills to Cope with Old Difficulties. Further Reading. Dieting: A Health Warning.Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder. What Weight is Healthy? The Health Hazards of Dieting. How Much Do I Need to Eat? Working with Your Body to Obtain Your Optimal Weight and Shape. How to Relearn Eating Control. Bingeing, Nibbling, and Compulsive Overeating: The Black Hole of the Never-satisfied Stomach.Why is My Eating Uncontrolled? How to Stop Binges. Lapses. Vomiting, Laxatives, and Diuretics: Have Your Cake and Eat it
- Or Not? Facing the Facts? Why You are Right to Worry. What Type of Weight Controller are You? How to Stop Vomiting. How to Stop Abusing Laxatives, Diuretics and Other Medications. Learning to Feel Good about Your Body.Learning about Body Shapes. Getting to Know Your Body. Looking after Your Body. Living with Your Body. Note. Further Reading. Jack Spratt's Wife: Being Fatter May be Better.The Health Risks of being Overweight. Pie in the Sky. Only the Lonely. Shake, Shake, Shake Your Body. Further Reading. Relapse: Walking in Circles
- Or Not?Preventing Slips from Occurring. What to Do if a Slip Occurs. A Woman's Work is Never Done
- Or is It? The Wounds of Childhood.Sexual Abuse. Trying to Make Sense of It. Grapple with Guilt and Self-blame. Will the Effects Always be There? Get a Toehold onto Trust. Coming to Terms. Further Reading. Food for Thought.Toad in a Hole. The Gloom-and-Doom Scenario. Isn't Life Dreadful? Wracked by Guilt. Please, Please Them. The Dictatorship of Control. Over to You. Shake off Shame. Further Reading. Finding Your Voice.Learning to Stand Your Ground. Anything for a Quiet Life? Ground-rules for Assertive Behaviour. How to Put Assertiveness into Practice. Further Reading. The Seduction of Self-destruction.The Slippery Slope of Booze and Drugs. Should I be Worried about My Alcohol Intake? Do You Like Russian Roulette? If I were a Rich Man... Note. Further Reading. The Web of Life: Parents, Partners' Children, and Friends.Home, Sweet Home. Friends. Sexual Relationships. Children. Further Reading. Working to Live, Living to Work.Some Common Work Problems. Further Reading. Is This the End of the Journey
- Or Not?But What if You are Still Stuck? Dream On, Baby. Recovery: A Trip into Uncharted Territory. Appendix. Some Useful Addresses.
"... clearly written, from a wealth of practical experience, and does indeed provide the sufferer with a 'survival kit' on the road to recovery. It can be recommended not only to sufferers, but to professionals dealing with these patients, and to family and friends who wish to become involved in the recovery process."-Anne Ward, Behaviour Research Therapy
"... an excellent book, and a model for self-help manuals. The basics of bulimia nervosa and other binge eating disorders are explained in clear and simple language."-Padma de Silva, Sexual and Marital Therapy