Statement of responsibility: Eddie Chambers
ISBN: 0857736086, 1780762712, 1780762720, 9780857736086, 9781780762715, 9781780762722
Includes bibliographical references (p. -264) and index.
xvi, 272 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Artists, Black Great Britain History 21th century.; Art, Black Great Britain 21th century History.; Art, Black Great Britain 20th century History.; Blacks in art.; Art, British 21th century History.; Artists, Black Great Britain History 20th century.; Art, British 20th century History.
Also issued online.
- Introduction: some problems with history and its treament of black-British artists
- The pioneering generation of Caribbean artists
- Early contributions by South Asian artists
- The significance of the 1970s
- Uzo Egonu and contemporary African art in Britain
- The earliest black-British practitioners
- South Asian stories
- The 'black art' generation and the 1980s
- The rise and fall of the Black-Art Gallery
- The emergence of black women artists: arguments and opinions
- Sonia Boyce and other black women artists
- Substantial sculpture: the work of Sokari Douglas Camp, Veronica Ryan, and Permindar Kaur
- Black artists of the 1990s generation
- The triumphant triumvirate: Yinka Shonibare, Chris Ofili, and Steve McQueen
- The new generation.