The politics of the gender gap: the social construction of political influence
Using election studies, media analysis, economics, history, sociology and policy studies, The Politics of the Gender Gap presents state-of-the-art empirical research on the emergence of women as a voting block. It reveals that although the gender gap is a social and political creation that is still ill-defined, its potential to influence politics is significant. The contributors explain the origins of the gender gap; its use by women's organizations, the media and political parties; and its implications for the election of women
Newbury Park, Calif.; London: Sage, c1988
No availability records for this item
Statement of responsibility: edited by Carol M. Mueller
ISBN: 0803927320, 0803927339, 9780803927322, 9780803927339
316p : tables ; 23 cm.
Sage yearbooks in women's policy studies ; v. 12
Feminism United States.; Women Government policy United States.; UnitedStates Politics Participation of women; Women in politics United States.
- PART ONE: OVERVIEWThe Empowerment of Women
- Carol Mueller Polling and the Women's Voting BlocPART TWO: THE POLITICAL MOBILIZATION OF WOMENThe Gender Factor in the Changing Electorate
- Henry C KenskiThe Ballot Box Revolution
- Johanna S R Mendelson The Drive to Register WomenPART THREE: DISCOVERY AND DEFINITION OF THE `GENDER GAP'The Selling of the `Gender Gap'
- Kathy Bonk The Role of Organized FeminismThe Ferraro Factor
- Kathleen A Frankovic The Women's Movement, the Polls and the PressPress Portrayals of the Gender Gap
- Julio Borquez, Edie N Goldenberg and Kim Fridkin KahnPART FOUR: THE EMERGENCE OF WOMEN'S SPECIAL INTERESTSWomen's Claims as a Special Interest
- Anne N CostainWomen and the Welfare State
- Steve P Erie and Martin ReinSex Differences in Support for Government Spending
- Cynthia DeitchThe Gender Gap
- Pippa Norris A Cross-National Trend?PART FIVE: THE ELECTIONS OF THE EIGHTIESWomen's Autonomy and the Gender Gap
- Susan J Carroll 1980 and 1982Gender and the Vote
- Arthur Miller 1984PART SIX: THE OUTLOOKContinuity and Change in Women's Political Agenda
- Carol M Mueller