Statement of responsibility: John Smyth
ISBN: 113754967X, 1137549688, 9781137549679, 9781137549686
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1 online resource.
Palgrave critical university studies
Social Science Sociology General.; Organization & management of education.; Educational strategies & policy.; Higher & further education, tertiary education.; Education.; Sociology.; Education, Higher.; EDUCATION / Higher; Education Higher.; Education Educational Policy & Reform General.; Universities and colleges Administration.; Education Philosophy & Social Aspects.; Education Administration General.
Palgrave critical university studies.
- Series Editor's Preface
- Chapter 1 Introduction: 'Getting an Academic Life'
- What Is This Book About?
- Why Am I Writing This Book, and in This Particular Way?
- Pathological Organizational Dysfunction
- What Then Is My Perspective in This Book?
- How Is This Book Structured and Organized?
- Chapter 2 Neoliberalism: An Alien Interloper in Higher Education
- 'The End of the University as We Know It' (Brown 2011, p. 117)
- The 'Corrosion of Character': The Corruption and Proletarianization of an Academic Identity
- Exploring the 'Hidden Transcripts' of the Neoliberalizing UniversityOut of This Crisis
- Chapter 3 Why the 'Toxic' University? A Case of Two Very Different Academics
- What Is Meant by Toxic?
- Academic Work: A Case of Identity Theft?
- Chapter 4 Why Zombie Leadership?
- How Then, Does Zombie Leadership Work in Universities?
- Rank Hypocrisies….League Tables and Rankings as an Academic Muzzle!
- Chapter 5 Cultivation of the 'Rock Star' Academic Researcher?
- How Then Is Competition Corrupting Academic Work?
- Move Over Collegiality, Loyalty Trumps Productivity
- Chapter 8 Enough Is Enough…of This Failed Experiment of 'Killing the Host'Let's Hear It Again…Voices from the Academy!
- How Then, to Do This-Something About My Method?
- Damage, Despair, Violence and Sense of Loss (42 Titles)
- The Rise of the Marketized, Corporate, Managed, Administrative, Neoliberal University (25 Titles)
- A Scene of Rampant Confusion and Loss of Way (23 Titles)
- Attempts at Reclamation, Reinvention, Reimagination, and Recovery from This Ill-Conceived Experiment (20 Titles)
- Chapter 9 Get off My Bus! The Reversal of What We Have Been Doing in Universities
- Now, for a Major Confessional RecantLet's Subvert the Stupidity of the Proponents
- An Educative Way of Confronting This Violence
- The Logic of 'Small Wins'
- Author Index
- Subject Index