Statement of responsibility: Kate Hoskins
ISBN: 1137352922, 9781137352927
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1 online resource.
Policy and practice in the classroom
Careers guidance.; Education Study Skills.; Higher & further education, tertiary education.; Education, Higher Great Britain.; Education.; Study Skills.; Youth Employment Great Britain.; Study & learning skills: general.; Educational strategies & policy.; BUSINESS & ECONOMICS Labor.; Education, Higher.; Sociology.; Education Educational Policy & Reform General.; ducation and state.; Youth Great Britain.; POLITICAL SCIENCE Labor & Industrial Relations.; Youth Employment.; Education Philosophy & Social Aspects.; Youth.; Education and state.; Social Science Sociology General.; Education Counseling Vocational Guidance.; Career education.; Educational sociology.; Great Britain.; Education Higher.
Policy and practice in the classroom.
- Youth Identities, Education and Employment; Acknowledgements; Contents; List of Tables; 1 The Changing Landscape of Opportunity for Young People; Graduation, Graduation, Graduation; Themes of the Book; Economic, Social and Policy Context; The Empirical Study; Theoretical Framework; Researching Identity; Overview of Chapters; Chapter 2
- The Changing Context of Further and Higher Education and Youth Employment; Chapter 3
- Post-16 Educational Choices and Decision-Making: Opportunities and Challenges.
- Chapter 4
- Post-18 Educational Choices: 'Our Students Need to Avoid the easyJet Version of Universities'Chapter 5
- Alternative Possibilities and Pathways: Youth Employment and Apprenticeships in a Graduate World; Chapter 6
- The Contemporary Context of Youth Participation and Identities: Towards Challenging the Status Quo; Concluding Remarks; Notes; 2 The Changing Context of Further and Higher Education and Youth Employment; Introduction; The Changing Policy Context in England: The Influence of Neoliberalism; Neoliberalism and Further Education: Cuts to Financial Support.
- Neoliberalism and Higher Education: University Tuition FeesThe Widening Higher Education Participation Agenda
- Higher Education Tuition Fees: The Situation in Greece and Spain
- Youth Un/Employment in England
- Youth Un/Employment in Greece and Spain
- Concluding Remarks: The Changing Content of Further Education, Higher Education and the Youth Employment Market
- 3 Post-16 Educational Choices and Decision-Making: The Role of Policy and Identity
- The Changing Further Education Policy Landscape: Removal of EMA
- Removal of EMA: The Teachers' Perspectives.
- Gender and Post-16 Subject Choice: 'Stats Is the Girlie Version of Maths'Social Class and Post-16 Subject Choice: 'There's a Lot of Council Estates Around Here, but Last Year, There Were Girls Who Had Mini Coopers with Private Number Plates'
- Ethnicity and Post-16 Subject Choices
- Concluding Remarks: Policy, Identity and Post-16 Pathways
- 4 Post-18 Educational Choices: 'Our Students Need to Avoid the easyJet Version of Universities'
- Planning University: The Role of the School and Teachers
- Planning to Attend an Elite University: Value for Money?
- Planning University: Costs and ConcernsPlanning University: Family Expectations and Influences
- Planning University: Doing It for Yourself
- Identity and University Courses
- Identity and University Courses: The Influence of Gender
- Identity and University Courses: The Influence of Ethnicity
- Identity and University Courses: The Influence of Social Class
- Concluding Remarks: Choosing University: Widening Participation and Social Justice Concerns
- 5 Alternative Possibilities and Pathways: Youth Employment and Apprenticeships in a Graduate World