Statement of responsibility: Jean-François Lyotard ; translation from the French by Geoff Bennington and Brian Massumi ; foreword by Fredric Jameson
ISBN: 0719014506, 0719014549, 9780719014505, 9780719014543
Translation of, La condition postmoderne.
xxv,110p ; 24 cm.
Theory and history of literature ; v.10
Learning and scholarship.; Knowledge, Theory of.; Knowledge
- Foreword by Frederic Jameson
- 1 The field: knowledge in computerized societies
- 2 The problem: legitimation
- 3 The method: language games
- 4 The nature of the social bond: the modern alternative
- 5 The nature of the social bond: the postmodern perspective
- 6 The pragmatics of narrative knowledge
- 7 The pragmatics of scientific knowledge
- 8 The narrative function and the legitimation of knowledge
- 9 Narratives of the legitimation of knowledge
- 10 Delgitimation
- 11 Research and it legitimation through performativity
- 12 Education and its legitimation through performativity
- 13 Postmodern science as the search for instabilities
- 14 Legitimation by paralogy
Many definitions of postmodernism focus on its nature as the aftermath of the modern industrial age when technology developed. This book extends that analysis to postmodernism by looking at the status of science, technology, and the arts, the significance of technocracy, and the way the flow of information is controlled in the Western world.