Statement of responsibility: Margaret I. Jordan
Includes bibliographical references (p. -278) and index.
xv, 284 p.
African Americans in literature.; Historical fiction, American History and criticism.; Slavery in literature.; Warren, Robert Penn, 1905-1989. Band of angels.; Doctorow, E. L., 1931- Ragtime.; Morrison, Toni. Song of Solomon.; American fiction 20th century History and criticism.; Johnson, Charles Richard, 1948- Middle passage.; Household employees in literature.; Literature and history United States History 20th century.
Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif.: ebrary, 2011. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.
- Introduction. Imagining the past ; The African American servant : cultural artifact and agent in place
- What made Amantha lean? : racial fanaticism in the 1950s and the rationalization of slavery in Robert Penn Warren's Band of angels
- A washerwoman wreaks havoc : moral reckoning and the "national soul" in E.L. Doctorow's Ragtime
- "Evolve or die" : rewriting "the disfiguring hand of servitude" in Charles Johnson's Middle passage
- Elegy for a dream : Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon.